The school was designated by the government as a Language College in 1997, an important moment in our history. We sought this specialism in order to have the extra resources necessary to develop Modern Foreign Language provision both at Park View and in local primary schools and to expand the international dimension within our curriculum.
Cognisant that we live in a global economy, we place great emphasis on developing in our students the skills and attitudes necessary to take their meaningful place in an ever shrinking world. We allow the majority of students to be triple linguists in Key Stage 3, enter a large cohort of students for French, German and Spanish GCSE and have structures which allow the enthusiastic not only to study GCSE but also to continue with their courses up to A-level.
Our commitment to global education has been recognised by the fact that not only are we holders of the full International Schools Award but have helped all of our main partner primary schools to be so too. We have curriculum links to schools in France, Germany, the Netherlands, Bangladesh and China, allowing our children to travel abroad and to make contact with those in other countries: both are vital to their spiritual, moral and cultural development.
A typical programme of visits abroad in an academic year would include:
- Year 7-13: Ski trip
- Year 7/8: Study Visit to Northern France
- Year 8: Study Visit to Germany
- Year 7-13: Study Visit to Strasbourg
- Year 9-13: Spanish Exchange (Cividad Real)
- Year 9-13: World Challenge (Uganda 2010 / Vietnam and Laos 2012 / Ecuador and Galapagos 2014 / Madagascar 2016 )
- Year 12: Work Experience (Spain / France / Germany)
- Year 13: Study Visit to Picardie / Paris
- Year 13: Study Visit to Andalucía
- Year 12/13: Study Visit to Berlin
- Year 12/13: Next Generation Science Exchange (Arnhem, Holland)